We still need to advocate and reach politicians to make sure they know that we have a Right to Housing (R2H). Get on the email/phone/post office!
Interesting Background Document on the R2H
- Declare that it is the policy of the Government of Canada to recognize housing as a fundamental human right.
- Establish that the National Housing Council will monitor progress and advise the Minister regarding the progressive realization of the right to housing.
- Strengthen the federal Housing Advocate who will:
- assess and advise the Federal Government on the implementation of the housing policy;
- initiate inquiries into incidents or conditions in a community, institution, industry or economic sector;
- monitor progress in meeting goals and timelines of the housing policy;
- receive and investigate submissions from affected groups;
- issue opinions about compliance with the right to housing; and
- refer key systemic issues for accessible hearings before a Review Panel.
- Provide for a Review Panel, made up of three members appointed from the National Housing Council, to hold hearings into selective systemic issues and submit reports and remedial recommendations to the designated federal Minister.
- Require the Minister to respond to recommendations within 90 days.