3. News, Rights, Advocacy
“Ontario Healthcare system broken” – says Ontario Government
If you have a health concern, continue to contact your health care provider.
- Get fast, free medical advice via Telehealth 1-866-797-0000
- Find home care or long-term care 310-2222
- Access community mental health and addictions services 1-866-531-2600 (Connex) or 1-800-668-6868 (Kids Help Phone) + 211 for Toronto
You could also contact your MPP to ask questions and make requests!
PHI includes “other information included in a record containing PHI”. This means that police, parole, CAS, school or other information can become PHI once it is added to your personal health record at an organization. Then it can be used for or against you when you look for social assistance, housing and more.
MORE About PHI and Lockbox
- Automating Inequality – Artificial intelligence will shape our social programs in the future like it has already in the USA. book by Virginia Eubanks
- Donald Trump may watch Facebook posts by people with disabilities. He is already doing it for immigration enforcement.
- University Health Network hospitals had a privacy breach
Does your service provider prioritize your privacy and limit information collection? Limiting data collection to the information that the organization needs to provide service reduces risks to you today and in the future
Often Opioid “treatment” = hospital
[F]ear will only encourage silence and silence equals the death of supportive and safe spaces, honest conversations, information sharing and compassion and understanding – all of the things needed to ensure effective interventions to pragmatically, non-judgmentally and holistically address meth use in our community.
Crystal meth “treatment” = police
St. Stephen’s launched the Crystal Meth Project as a pilot program in December of last year.
Bulletin: Tips to learn, teach, advocate and create a less hostile and more inclusive world for ourselves—great to share with friends, family, allies. Thanks Radical Abolitionist
- 2) Shift your understanding of psychiatric disability away from medical models and towards the social model of disability.
- 6) “Remember that abuse is upheld and perpetuated by oppressive systems like patriarchy, racism, cisheterosexism, ableism, sanism, classism, adultism…”
- 28) Reject the moral imperative to be “healthy,” physically, mentally, or emotionally.
By Kazimir DeWolfe, Emily Sheera Cutler, Matt Perry, Jess Stohlmann-Rainey, and Andy Collings
Patrick White, March 25, 2019, The Globe and Mail //tgam.ca/2HUPOqf
Ontario Superior Court Justice Paul Perell ruled Monday that the federal prison agency’s treatment of at least 2,000 mentally ill inmates violated Sections 7 and 12 of the Charter of Rights, which protect against arbitrary state actions and cruel and unusual punishment.
For Example Treatment: Indigenous Peoples and people of colour report being subjected to rude, disrespectful, harsh, or dismissive treatment by health care staff, due to racially discriminatory stereotypes. The Ontario Human Rights Commission found in 2017 that health workers often do not treat Indigenous Peoples’ symptoms seriously because of assumptions that they are drunk or high. Similarly, Black patients’ symptoms of sickle cell anemia are frequently dismissed as pain related to drug habits. Full list of Sheets